The mission of the John C. Hart Memorial Library is to serve the town of Yorktown and surrounding areas by providing a center for intellectual, personal, and cultural enrichment to the people of all ages and backgrounds and under-represented groups. The Library has a circulating collection of books, audiobooks, magazines, CDs, DVDs and eBooks, audiobooks, videos and music to download. In addition, Hart has technological resources and programs for the purpose of education, recreation and satisfying informational, cultural and recreational needs.
The Hart Library embraces technological resources and development to further enhance traditional library resources, to better meet the evolving needs of the community.
Through the Westchester Library System, the Hart Library provides its patrons access to material and sources outside the Hart’s collections. In addition to being an active participant in the Westchester Library System, the Hart Library is actively involved with community institutions, organizations and individuals in pursuit of these goals.
To achieve the above objectives, the Library will adhere to the following specific practices:
- Endorse the Library Bill of Rights of the American Library Association and the Freedom to Read Statement, the Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records and the Statement on Professional Ethics, copies of which follow.
- Maintain communication with the Yorktown Town Board
- Hold membership in the Westchester Library System
- Cooperate with and support the Friends of the Library
- Commit to staff education for awareness of ongoing best practices for diversity, equity and inclusiveness
Revised and adopted by the John C. Hart Memorial Library Board of Trustees on February 16, 2022